Radiotherapy is one of the most widely used therapies for cancer treatment at ORCI. Under the Radiation Section, Radiation Therapy is a form of treatment used in treating cancer that uses large doses of high energy beams particles to destroy cancer cells.
Radiotherapy is a multidisciplinary specialty which uses advance equipment and radiation sources for the delivery of treatment. External Beam Radiation Therapy in Ocean Road Cancer Institute uses a Cobalt, equinox and a linear accelerator which produces different photon and electron energies customized to the need for the care of patients.
The aim of radiotherapy is to deliver a very accurate dose of radiation to a very well-defined target volume with minimal dose to the surrounding healthy tissues resulting in the eradication of the disease, the prolongation of life or the improvement in the quality of life.
Equipments in Radiotherapy:
Radiotherapy uses diverse state of the art equipments to enable expert radiation oncologists manage the treatment of their patients using ionizing radiation. Current, ORCI is equipped with;
- Conventional Radiation Therapy
- Three-Dimensional Conformal Radiation Therapy (3DCRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
This Section is responsible for the following activities: –
- Deliver radiotherapy dose to patients as prescribed and verified;
- Evaluate patients undergoing radiotherapy and provide advice to oncologist;
- Assess and report radiotherapy equipment deviations or malfunctions;
- Identify radiotherapy equipment and advise on specifications for procurement; and
- Keep records of radiotherapy dose delivered to patients.